Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Tarantino

Visions of samurai sword must have invaded my senses when I rented "Kill Bill" and "Last Samurai" DVDs. Next time, I'll try not to be dictated by my visions. A French film director once succinctly described certain Hollywood movie as "a beautifully photographed piece of shit", which I'd say is an apt description for both the aforementioned movies. "Kill Bill" is particularly painful to watch, not because of its gratuitous violence, but because all throughout the film I was chiding myself for spending money on yet another Quentin Tarantino movie.

Mr. Q. T. calls himself a filmmaker, but he is more like a cultural phenomenon, not unlike Andy Warhol in the 70's New York art scene. Seems like Q. T. plans to spend the rest of his life paying homage to schlocky Hong Kong martial-arts flicks, and perhaps making a ton of money along the way. On the other hand, he's the one laughing all the way to the bank, who am I to lament?

1 comment:

Preston Surface said...

Last Samurai was a movie I enjoyed for the implied challenge of the last one standing. Most of all, I enjoyed and still do enjoy, the soundtrack to this movie.

Someday I would like to make a small film using my little dog, a Shih-tzu as the main character with The Last Samurai soundtrack. I could just see little Moppet struggling to save his three comrads, Sassy, Sugar, and Ben from perils they are facing. I'd use a green screen with dreadful things happening and Moppet barely escaping. An adventure of epic proportion using my dogs - Hehe.

Blog Archive