Saturday, November 27, 2004

Pink-Bubble Existentialism

A few years ago, during a visit to Getty Museum, my attention was grabbed by a unique pose this young lady struck -- her back leaning against a cement pillar, she had one leg up with her plastic sandal pressed against the pillar, then with her head slightly cocked back, she blew the biggest pink gum bubble I had ever seen. I saw the same pose again yesterday in front of Target -- the way this girl's leg was pulled up, her sandal pressed against the wall, even the deliberate and hypnotic manner in which the pink bubble expanded appeared to be the same. Obviously it was a different girl.

Perhaps there is certain universality about blowing a gum bubble; then again, it is entirely possible that I was fooled by my memory. Or perhaps those girls never existed, only the pink bubbles did.

No comments:

Blog Archive