Wednesday, March 16, 2005

"When you are silent you are again beautiful."


Virginia Woolf's "The Waves" is so chock-full of yummy little quotes that someone can theoretically devote an entire blog to writing essays around those literary gems. As much as I love her writing immensely, I don't have the "academic stuff" to pursue the daunting task. It is nevertheless hard for me to resist creating arbitrary graphic representations for those delicious words.

The title of this post, "When you are silent you are again beautiful," comes from page 131 of my dog-eared copy of "The Waves", and here is the context:

'When I came into the room tonight,' said Susan, 'I stopped, I
peered about like an animal with its eyes near to the ground. The
smell of carpets and furniture and scent disgusts me. I like to
walk through the wet fields alone, or to stop at a gate and watch
my setter nose in a circle, and to ask: Where is the hare? I like
to be with people who twist herbs, and spit into the fire, and
shuffle down long passages in slippers like my father. The only
sayings I understand are cries of love, hate, rage and pain. This
talking is undressing an old woman whose dress had seemed to be
part of her, but now, as we talk, she turns pinkish underneath, and
has wrinkled thighs and sagging breasts. When you are silent you
are again beautiful.

"The Waves" is posted in its entirety on Project Gutenberg of Australia.

No comments:

Blog Archive