Monday, January 02, 2006

Is Microsoft Word Still Relevant?

An aftermath of the sudden death of my laptop is that Microsoft Word is not bundled with the new computer, so, impulsively I downloaded OpenOffice, an open-source office suite, and am now a new convert to the OpenOffice Writer program.

For the novel I am currently working on, I will continue to save files in the .doc format, which OpenOffice is capable of generating, but for all other writings, such as punching out this blog entry, I have the choice of using Blogger's own "rich text" word processor or any online word processing program that has a decent spellchecker, such as Writely. Personally, I have a quirky way of composing my blog entries -- I simply write them in my Gmail, check the spelling with its excellent spellchecker, then copy-and-paste them to my blog.

No comments:

Blog Archive